Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Knotty gloves of Alpaca Gentility

 Nerd Wars has certainly stretched me as a knitter, challenged me in unexpected ways and kept me knitting happily along.

I've been thinking for a while now that I'd like to make myself some nice gloves, warm soft ones that are different than any gloves I could buy at the store.
Gloves for our fickle, short winter. no, gloves for an overseas winter! A real one!
I bought some Yarn Pirate alpaca/wool yarn on sale at the Loopy Ewe a while ago, not quite sure what I was going to do with it. I just wanted to experience a new fiber.
Alpaca is supposedly warmer than wool, so perfect for snowy weather gloves!
I also felt like learning more about cabling, so the Knotty gloves by Julia Mueller seemed like the perfect match here.
Good idea.

I modified the pattern a bit to fit me, but the result speaks for itself.

I made the ribbing before the braid a bit longer.
Started the pal 2 rounds earlier than indicated in the pattern.
Cut the thumb gusset short by 2 rounds.
Started with the little finger, knitted one round before starting each subsequent finger.
Knitted body of glove on one long circular, 2 at a time. Knit the fingers with bamboo DPNs.
I can't wait to try them out in real weather.
It's getting hot here. Definitely not glove weather. At all.







No comments:

Post a Comment