Saturday, October 15, 2011

In which I am in love.

The search is over.
I can call off my stash quest, because I. Am. In. Love.
When I first met my OTL (one true love), I wasn't expecting it to be love at first sight.
We met on the internet, *the* dating medium of choice for the lonely, stash-enhancement-seeking knitter anywhere in the world.
My OTL came from a pedigree I'd heard about. Others had fallen in love with it, too. Or at least, it's other-colored cousins.

I'm new at this, I thought. I should experiment. If it's not true love, it will still be a good fling.
Ah yes, the fling.

I tasked my favorite enabler with setting us up. Money changed virtual hands, and a month later, we finally met.

Can words describe the pure bliss when I first laid eyes (and then hands, and then, most disturbingly, face) on my OTL?
Soft. Smooth. Sleek. And the color of the autumn I always dream of experiencing. Or more precisely, the color of a bag of delicious golden Haribo gummy bears.
It was meant to be.

There were others with my OTL. Other potential flings. Famous pedigrees. Beautiful in their own right.
But they were not my OTL.

What? You want to know more about my OTL? Very well. let me introduce you.
The Sanguine Gryphon makes a rather well-known sock yarn called Bugga!, which is not only fun to say, but comes in a wide assortment of beautiful colors, all named after various invertebrae. From butterflies to millipedes, from scorpions to killer bees, you'll find rich, many-hued colors.
But none as beautiful as the Wandering Glider. MY Wandering Glider.

The yarn is made from 70% superwash merino, 20% cashmere and 10% nylon. And 31% fairy magic. One skein is a generous 4oz/412 yards.
Enough for a pair of socks.
Or, oooh, a shawl. I want to keem my OTL close. Close to my face where i can snuggle it with impunity.
it's time to tackle my first shawl project.
I chose Pogona, by Stephen West. It seems simple enough, and it's coming along nicely.
As a bonus, spring has been unseasonably cold. It might be shawl weather for a while yet.

Then again, I'm known to grossly underestimate how long knitting projects take. If I can get this shawl finished by February so I can take it with me when travelling, I'll consider it a great success.

So that's me and my OTL. Part of me wants to go out and buy a sweater's worth of this yarn. The other parts of me want to buy more. And in many colors.
Maybe I'm ready for the commitment of a full garment. Be afraid for me, my loves. Be very afraid.


No comments:

Post a Comment