Monday, August 22, 2011

Monkey Robot Overlord

Love! Lovelovelovelovelove. Why did no one tell me what a difference yarn makes?
Ok, ok, so *everyone* has been saying that. But still!
This yarn is awesome!
Not only does it have the best name ever (seriously, how can you go past Robot Overlord? I know!)
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock is a fabulous yarn. Smooth and tightly spun, with great colors.
So much nicer than anything I've worked with in my (admittedly short) knitting life.
This is also my first ever Cookie A pattern. Cookie A, in case you don't know, is somewhat of a sock designing legend, and the Monkey socks, first published in Knitty magazine, are an iconic sock pattern.
Of course I had to try it!
I made them two at a time on one Addi Turbo Lace needle, 32”. Love the needle.
I would have made the leg longer than the repeats called for in the pattern for a longer leg, but I wasn't sure how much yarn I would need, or how long I would like the finished cuff. live and learn.



While knitting up, I didn’t notice this, but once on the feet, the yarn creates thin red stripes across the pattern. It's very striking. While knitting, I just kept thinking "brown, beige, brown, OOH, red!"
I started the toe decreases a little early because of the way the pattern fell. The sock still fits, but snugly. I like it. Especially given that the first sock I made was rather on the loose side.
Overall verdict?
It’s a busy sock, but quite comfy.
The pattern breaks up the multi-coloured yarn beautifully. It adds some real interest. They look like a pile of autumn leaves! In the best possible way.


I love these socks. Everything about them worked out great, from the gorgeous yarn, to the color to the pattern to the fit.


Yay sock love!





















No comments:

Post a Comment